home - to The Greyhound-Database
Home  |  Dog-Search  |  Tattoo  |  Races  |  Race Cards  |  Coursing  |  Tracks  |  Statistic  |  Testmating  |  Kennels  |  Fighting Fund  |           SHOP-UKFacebook
Login  |    |  add_race  |  add_coursing  |  add_dog  |  Membership  |  Advertising  |  Ask the Vet    Help  print pedigree    
Active-Sires  |  Sire-Pages  |  Which Sire?  |  Classifieds  |  Auctions  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Library  |  Adoption  |  Forum  |  About_us  |  Site Usage

Welcome to the Greyhound Knowledge Forum

    Sponsored by:-   Rapidvite

The Greyhound-Data Forum has been created to act as a platform for greyhound enthusiasts to share information on this magnificent animal called a greyhound.

Greyhound-Data reserve the right to remove any post that is off topic, advertisements or opinions they consider to be offensive.

Please read the forum usage manual please note:

If you answer then please try to stay on topic. It's absolutely okay to answer in a broader scope but don't hijack posts by switching to something off topic.

In case you see an insulting post: DO NOT REPLY TO IT!
Use the report button to inform the moderators so that we can delete it.

Read more...

All TopicsFor SaleGD-WebsiteBreedingHealthRacingCoursingAdoptionBettingTalkLogin to post
Do you have questions how to use the Greyhound-Data website?
Or do you have ideas how to improve the site?

GRV & Vic Code For Keeping Greyhoundspage  1 2 

Hayden Gilders
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 674
Dogs 26 / Races 0

12 Oct 2018 00:37


 (6)
 (1)

Interesting comment by GRV in "Public Consultation on proposed changes to transportation of Greyhounds In Hot Weather"

GRV states that "While noting that the code provides minimum standards (as opposed to best practice)"....

This could well be taken to mean that if GRV aren't happy with any issues in the code that it may simply over ride it with new local rules or perhaps even policy.

GRV actively encouraged participants to make submissions regarding the code and as I understand it, made a submission of its own.

It now appears that since things didn't go its way changes may be considered to re adjust the level of control of the industry back to GRV even before the new code comes into effect

It begs the questions

Why did the industry go through the trauma of the code?

Why is there a public consultation process on any issue when GRV have implied that if it does not like the out come, it will attempt to change that outcome?

The underlying premise for all of this is "best practice"
Is this premise real and measurable and who has the ruler?

To some "best practice" means an end to greyhound racing


Charles W Mizzi
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 588
Dogs 1 / Races 1

12 Oct 2018 06:59


 (1)
 (0)

SIMPLES.... BECAUSE LUNITICS ARE RUNNNG THE ISYLUM

Actually heard some scuttlebutt the other day : Someone called GRV for assistance in assessing a property for building new kennels. After going thru the code it was mentioned that this would cost a fortune and he would be better off buying something established, the person agreed. Gee I can see lots of people dropping out of the industry then, the response......we are not concerned about that we have Chinese investors with about 18 million to invest. Now I say this is scuttlebutt, however where there is smoke there is fire and if you think of the investment they have already made in our stud dogs and the money they put into horse racing, its not beyond the realms of possibility.


Michael Barry
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 6875
Dogs 26 / Races 9

12 Oct 2018 10:18


 (5)
 (3)

charles w mizzi wrote:

SIMPLES.... BECAUSE LUNITICS ARE RUNNNG THE ISYLUM

Actually heard some scuttlebutt the other day : Someone called GRV for assistance in assessing a property for building new kennels. After going thru the code it was mentioned that this would cost a fortune and he would be better off buying something established, the person agreed. Gee I can see lots of people dropping out of the industry then, the response......we are not concerned about that we have Chinese investors with about 18 million to invest. Now I say this is scuttlebutt, however where there is smoke there is fire and if you think of the investment they have already made in our stud dogs and the money they put into horse racing, its not beyond the realms of possibility.


so all good plenty of investors interested in the industry , things have never been better in VIC breeding numbers just increase month after month breeding bonuses being paid to breeders and owners , prizemoney at all levels pretty good ,

its great to see welfare closing in on the shit holes they used to call greyhound properties. welfare are doing a great job , but

FEme there is still some shit holes out there that need wiping out



Steven Martin
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 6887
Dogs 172 / Races 66

12 Oct 2018 11:07


 (3)
 (0)

Agree with most Mick but,

Michael Barry wrote:

things have never been better in VIC breeding numbers just increase month after month

Yes breeding has slightly increased (in Vic only) since the demise of the industry in 2015, but it's still breeding nowhere near the days when life was like a box of chocolates.



Jeanette Spruyt
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 167
Dogs 2 / Races 0

12 Oct 2018 13:45


 (1)
 (0)

Michael Barry wrote:

charles w mizzi wrote:

SIMPLES.... BECAUSE LUNITICS ARE RUNNNG THE ISYLUM

Actually heard some scuttlebutt the other day : Someone called GRV for assistance in assessing a property for building new kennels. After going thru the code it was mentioned that this would cost a fortune and he would be better off buying something established, the person agreed. Gee I can see lots of people dropping out of the industry then, the response......we are not concerned about that we have Chinese investors with about 18 million to invest. Now I say this is scuttlebutt, however where there is smoke there is fire and if you think of the investment they have already made in our stud dogs and the money they put into horse racing, its not beyond the realms of possibility.


so all good plenty of investors interested in the industry , things have never been better in VIC breeding numbers just increase month after month breeding bonuses being paid to breeders and owners , prizemoney at all levels pretty good ,

its great to see welfare closing in on the shit holes they used to call greyhound properties. welfare are doing a great job , but

FEme there is still some shit holes out there that need wiping out

What's good
about foreign investment?
Really why don't the politicians just sell the whole of Australia and be done with it.



Hayden Gilders
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 674
Dogs 26 / Races 0

13 Oct 2018 00:11


 (2)
 (0)

steven martin wrote:

Agree with most Mick but,

Michael Barry wrote:

things have never been better in VIC breeding numbers just increase month after month

Yes breeding has slightly increased (in Vic only) since the demise of the industry in 2015, but it's still breeding nowhere near the days when life was like a box of chocolates.

best practice comes with continueos improvement thats what turns the wheel. things can always be better



Michael Barry
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 6875
Dogs 26 / Races 9

13 Oct 2018 01:10


 (1)
 (2)

Jeanette Spruyt wrote:

Michael Barry wrote:

charles w mizzi wrote:

SIMPLES.... BECAUSE LUNITICS ARE RUNNNG THE ISYLUM

Actually heard some scuttlebutt the other day : Someone called GRV for assistance in assessing a property for building new kennels. After going thru the code it was mentioned that this would cost a fortune and he would be better off buying something established, the person agreed. Gee I can see lots of people dropping out of the industry then, the response......we are not concerned about that we have Chinese investors with about 18 million to invest. Now I say this is scuttlebutt, however where there is smoke there is fire and if you think of the investment they have already made in our stud dogs and the money they put into horse racing, its not beyond the realms of possibility.


so all good plenty of investors interested in the industry , things have never been better in VIC breeding numbers just increase month after month breeding bonuses being paid to breeders and owners , prizemoney at all levels pretty good ,

its great to see welfare closing in on the shit holes they used to call greyhound properties. welfare are doing a great job , but

FEme there is still some shit holes out there that need wiping out

What's good
about foreign investment?
Really why don't the politicians just sell the whole of Australia and be done with it.


jeanette, without foreign investmest in the country we would all be eating GRASS


Scott Gibson
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 150
Dogs 0 / Races 0

13 Oct 2018 01:11


 (1)
 (0)

Hi Charles not scuttlebutt 100% true. I have had GRV here for the same assistance & been told the same thing. I wanted to put in 8 new race kennels to even come close to the code (which I believe to be impossible) around $80,000. I was looking at using a shipping container to that you have to put 100ml thick insulation inside walls & roof hinged 40ml thick doors with rubber seals to lock the dogs in this is also the same for out side kennels like in pup runs & so to lock them in at night & sound proof .
Thats just the container put a roof over the top I believe its 9m thick steel to meet the sound proof requirements in the code. Access to nautural sunlight tripple glazed windows in the roof of which a window the size of a toilet window is about $800. You add in soil testing engineering permits drafting the list gos on GRV say it's not them it's the state Government code for housing racing animals. But if you look in GRV code of practice you have to have all permits dog building and so on to meet there code. 80% of participants do not have permits for dogs and I believe 100% of facilities would not currently meet the state government code of practice, if there is one I would love to know where it is so I can see it. This also applies to any existing kennels if you want to renovate or extend your current kennels you must meet the code. Maybe the Racing Minister can foot the bill he has plenty of money to throw around. If there are any Chinese investors please give me a call it maybe the only way to stay involved with dogs.


Michael Barry
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 6875
Dogs 26 / Races 9

13 Oct 2018 01:37


 (1)
 (1)

Scott Gibson wrote:

Hi Charles not scuttlebutt 100% true. I have had GRV here for the same assistance & been told the same thing. I wanted to put in 8 new race kennels to even come close to the code (which I believe to be impossible) around $80,000. I was looking at using a shipping container to that you have to put 100ml thick insulation inside walls & roof hinged 40ml thick doors with rubber seals to lock the dogs in this is also the same for out side kennels like in pup runs & so to lock them in at night & sound proof .
Thats just the container put a roof over the top I believe its 9m thick steel to meet the sound proof requirements in the code. Access to nautural sunlight tripple glazed windows in the roof of which a window the size of a toilet window is about $800. You add in soil testing engineering permits drafting the list gos on GRV say it's not them it's the state Government code for housing racing animals. But if you look in GRV code of practice you have to have all permits dog building and so on to meet there code. 80% of participants do not have permits for dogs and I believe 100% of facilities would not currently meet the state government code of practice, if there is one I would love to know where it is so I can see it. This also applies to any existing kennels if you want to renovate or extend your current kennels you must meet the code. Maybe the Racing Minister can foot the bill he has plenty of money to throw around. If there are any Chinese investors please give me a call it maybe the only way to stay involved with dogs.


SCOTT pages 31 to 36 details whats required in the code thats to be implemented, build the kennels with coolroom panels , you dont need the container , coolroom panels are extremely cheap these days ,


Scott Gibson
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 150
Dogs 0 / Races 0

13 Oct 2018 03:02


 (0)
 (0)

Hi Mick
Is that GRV code of practice or State Government building code for the keeping of racing greyhounds thay are not the same


Michael Barry
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 6875
Dogs 26 / Races 9

13 Oct 2018 03:07


 (0)
 (0)

Scott Gibson wrote:

Hi Mick
Is that GRV code of practice or State Government building code for the keeping of racing greyhounds thay are not the same


its the Victorian state government april 2018
code of practice for the keeping of racing greyhounds, i got a hard copy of it sent to me


Hayden Gilders
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 674
Dogs 26 / Races 0

13 Oct 2018 03:25


 (1)
 (0)

in my code i cant see anything that says locking pups up at night or
windows and curtains. insulation required if material is impervious and raised floor.




Scott Gibson
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 150
Dogs 0 / Races 0

13 Oct 2018 11:53


 (0)
 (0)

If you look up new guidelines for greyhound facilties across victoria then Planing requirements for racing dog keeping and training (PFD 206.3KB). And check the minimum requirements for sound proofing and building of kennals. Planing code not the same code I think. Love to see a 100% compliant facility if there is one and no the cost. Pups 6mths of age are classed as racing dogs and must be housed under the same guidlines and requirements eg: out side pup runs with kennals requirements are the same as racing kennals.




Jeanette Spruyt
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 167
Dogs 2 / Races 0

13 Oct 2018 12:33


 (1)
 (0)

Michael Barry wrote:

Jeanette Spruyt wrote:

Michael Barry wrote:

charles w mizzi wrote:

SIMPLES.... BECAUSE LUNITICS ARE RUNNNG THE ISYLUM

Actually heard some scuttlebutt the other day : Someone called GRV for assistance in assessing a property for building new kennels. After going thru the code it was mentioned that this would cost a fortune and he would be better off buying something established, the person agreed. Gee I can see lots of people dropping out of the industry then, the response......we are not concerned about that we have Chinese investors with about 18 million to invest. Now I say this is scuttlebutt, however where there is smoke there is fire and if you think of the investment they have already made in our stud dogs and the money they put into horse racing, its not beyond the realms of possibility.


so all good plenty of investors interested in the industry , things have never been better in VIC breeding numbers just increase month after month breeding bonuses being paid to breeders and owners , prizemoney at all levels pretty good ,

its great to see welfare closing in on the shit holes they used to call greyhound properties. welfare are doing a great job , but

FEme there is still some shit holes out there that need wiping out

What's good
about foreign investment?
Really why don't the politicians just sell the whole of Australia and be done with it.


jeanette, without foreign investmest in the country we would all be eating GRASS

muchas gracias,
that's what we will be doing!

Money talks I suppose.
Future looks great, abs, gas, ports, real estate and so on.
No hope for the commoner if the super rich start investing in the dogs to make it something out of this world.
I suppose that's where you rely on governments to safeguard assets, some poorer countries, get lent money they can't pay back, and they lose ownership of unnecessarily overbuilt structures, that are in key strategic positions.
Oh well, that is the way the world is.
I can't help but link the 18mil investment comment with other stuff that I see and hear.
Greed takes over and we lose our freedom as we know it.
Time will tell, but the world is pretty fruked anyway, so just make the most of it, while it's there.




Jeanette Spruyt
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 167
Dogs 2 / Races 0

13 Oct 2018 13:08


 (0)
 (0)

What is the code for?
Preventing every day new comers?
Protecting greyhounds?
Proving to the public that everything has been tidied/tightened up?

When I read some stuff here about 2 codes, it get's a little confusing.
I thought it was quite straight forward, it was to give the greyhounds a better and safer housing situation.
It was to show the public that they are leaving no stone unturned in regards to welfare and the sport being clean.
I thought it was clear what the specifications had to be but it sounds like the expectations have been raised somehow to the point
where people are starting to find it impossible to conform to.

p.s. Just a distant thought just hope the end game is not, to let the situation get to the point where we have to be rescued by the government with a foreign investor as their saviour, and the government can look like some hero. Oh yeah and maybe make more money some how.

n.b. When you look at the situation with the code from a newbie point of view it could be overwhelming, because it sounds like to me that no one is saying - it's ok we can work through this.
I don't know - where's the positive stories of approval.
I have known the GRV to be of the message, that we are here to work with you - transition wise - if need be.




Hayden Gilders
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 674
Dogs 26 / Races 0

13 Oct 2018 19:07


 (0)
 (0)

Scott Gibson wrote:

If you look up new guidelines for greyhound facilties across victoria then Planing requirements for racing dog keeping and training (PFD 206.3KB). And check the minimum requirements for sound proofing and building of kennals. Planing code not the same code I think. Love to see a 100% compliant facility if there is one and no the cost. Pups 6mths of age are classed as racing dogs and must be housed under the same guidlines and requirements eg: out side pup runs with kennals requirements are the same as racing kennals.

yes i see the issues scott. the new permit process is far more onerous than the code


Charles W Mizzi
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 588
Dogs 1 / Races 1

14 Oct 2018 01:39


 (0)
 (0)

Hayden Gilders wrote:

Scott Gibson wrote:

If you look up new guidelines for greyhound facilties across victoria then Planing requirements for racing dog keeping and training (PFD 206.3KB). And check the minimum requirements for sound proofing and building of kennals. Planing code not the same code I think. Love to see a 100% compliant facility if there is one and no the cost. Pups 6mths of age are classed as racing dogs and must be housed under the same guidlines and requirements eg: out side pup runs with kennals requirements are the same as racing kennals.

yes i see the issues scott. the new permit process is far more onerous than the code


Hayden/Scott, response from the Shadow Racing Minister after me sending Scott's first post.

"Hence we will be reviewing the code Charles"

For nearly 2 years the Shadow Minister has been getting feedback from many in the industry. I can say he is listening, watching and learning.

Labor and GRV's mishandling of Tooradin and government's need for the Greens has brought us to this place.


Ross Farmer
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 163
Dogs 0 / Races 1

14 Oct 2018 02:53


 (0)
 (1)

To summarise:
The Greyhound planning requirements cover requirements for property permits eg setbacks, buildings eg noise/temp insulation).

The Greyhound code of practice relates to greyhound welfare.

There are some overlaps.

The Rules potentially apply also.

The most onerous requirements lie in the planning requirements. However, it should be remembered that if these are complied with, no objection can be made.

So although the planning requirements include 'approved measures' that define the optimum situation; there is provision for 'objectives' to be met in other ways than through strict compliance with these measures.

An agricultural consultant who reviewed the planning requirements, but not the welfare code, suggested to allow for a minimum $50,000 for a 24m x 12m steel kennel building (inc. concrete slab).

Given that the planning requirements have applied for over a year, one would have expected a few examples.



Hayden Gilders
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 674
Dogs 26 / Races 0

14 Oct 2018 11:59


 (0)
 (0)

Ross Farmer wrote:

To summarise:
The Greyhound planning requirements cover requirements for property permits eg setbacks, buildings eg noise/temp insulation).

The Greyhound code of practice relates to greyhound welfare.

There are some overlaps.

The Rules potentially apply also.

The most onerous requirements lie in the planning requirements. However, it should be remembered that if these are complied with, no objection can be made.

So although the planning requirements include 'approved measures' that define the optimum situation; there is provision for 'objectives' to be met in other ways than through strict compliance with these measures.

An agricultural consultant who reviewed the planning requirements, but not the welfare code, suggested to allow for a minimum $50,000 for a 24m x 12m steel kennel building (inc. concrete slab).

Given that the planning requirements have applied for over a year, one would have expected a few examples.

ross thanks for that but can we expect best pratice to make things more difficult



Rob Ingram
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 157
Dogs 7 / Races 0

14 Oct 2018 20:35


 (1)
 (0)

Ross
I would suggest the $50K for that size shed is way off. Notice you did say minimum but a 24m shed would cost more than $50k for the shed slab and erection.
I just built a 12m x7m 12 kennel block. With everything from slab, power, drainage, septic, fitout, insulation/sound proofing,empty yard it cost $130k. That does not include the labour cost for shed erection or Fitout
Thanks

posts 22page  1 2