home - to The Greyhound-Database
Home  |  Dog-Search  |  Tattoo  |  Races  |  Race Cards  |  Coursing  |  Tracks  |  Statistic  |  Testmating  |  Kennels  |  Fighting Fund  |           SHOP-UKFacebook
Login  |    |  add_race  |  add_coursing  |  add_dog  |  Membership  |  Advertising  |  Ask the Vet    Help  print pedigree    
Active-Sires  |  Sire-Pages  |  Which Sire?  |  Classifieds  |  Auctions  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Library  |  Adoption  |  Forum  |  About_us  |  Site Usage

Welcome to the Greyhound Knowledge Forum

    Sponsored by:-   Rapidvite

The Greyhound-Data Forum has been created to act as a platform for greyhound enthusiasts to share information on this magnificent animal called a greyhound.

Greyhound-Data reserve the right to remove any post that is off topic, advertisements or opinions they consider to be offensive.

Please read the forum usage manual please note:

If you answer then please try to stay on topic. It's absolutely okay to answer in a broader scope but don't hijack posts by switching to something off topic.

In case you see an insulting post: DO NOT REPLY TO IT!
Use the report button to inform the moderators so that we can delete it.

Read more...

All TopicsFor SaleGD-WebsiteBreedingHealthRacingCoursingAdoptionBettingTalkLogin to post
Do you have questions about greyhound racing?
Do you need advice on how to train a greyhound?

GRNSW Boardpage  1 2 

Shane Carter
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 4822
Dogs 13 / Races 0

07 Nov 2018 03:55


 (5)
 (0)

There should be an option ...especially if itís a topic started by you, to block Bruce ...He rarely value adds to any topic, he is never wrong, gives far misinformation, then actual real informed info ...,,,instead of everyone getting frustrated with Bruce, letís add a block function ..,saves everyone time including Bruceís ...,itís a win win




Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 966
Dogs 0 / Races 0

07 Nov 2018 04:08


 (1)
 (6)

Glenn,

You continue to go on with verballing and misquoting. I reject all you said in your last post. It's inaccurate.

I said "other ... than racing" and you now try to tell me the gallops are this, that and the other. You failed to read my sentence properly.

Anyway, since 1856 the gallops have nearly always been headed by an owner or breeder with varying sorts of CEOs who may throw their weight around at times. Committees are full of similar types or legal eagles who (in the words of Temby QC in the Jockeytapes scandal) were more concerned about their "chardonnay lunches".

While the code has some promising signs (mainly sprinters) it has long been subject to ...

* Declining betting turnover in real terms.
* Declining share of the overall gambling market.
* Declining share of the wagering market.
* Declining foal numbers.
* Declining average field size.
* Declining standard of staying horses (ref: several experts). The first five horses in the Cup came from UK (4) and France (1).
* Declining attendances

Aside from that,

* The Everest was funded by owners.
* Cash flow was helped by the deal to flog RNSW' share of Trackside, some Gov grants, sales of land and a big and continuing cross subsidy from greyhounds - all essentially capital exercises.
* Expenses are offset by fees charged for stables, etc, attendances and for special events (bands, conferences, the Pope).
* Other prize money increases were possible after the start of tax parity payments - more will follow when POCT gets into gear.

So I am not particularly envious of the way the thoroughbreds conduct their business. Not a bit.

Structurally, the trots are even worse off but will get away with it for a while (in NSW) due to the squillions paid for the sale of the Harold Park property - plus the annual cross subsidy from the dogs.

Your last sentence is irrelevant, off topic and has been answered many times on this site (but not by me - I never comment on training methods as it is above my pay grade).





Glenn Hatton
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 4708
Dogs 92 / Races 98

07 Nov 2018 04:27


 (8)
 (0)

From what I can see from this thread and others you suffer from verbal diarrhoea & you well and truly have no concept that people have the right to refute your innacurate statements. In fact you refuse to acknowledge the stuff youíve said in previous posts...maybe youíre a politician.
Anyhow, Iíve said all I need to on the topic. People can judge for themselves who is talking sh$t




Robert Hill
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 24
Dogs 1 / Races 0

07 Nov 2018 05:02


 (6)
 (0)

How many more times are you going to go on quote "live baiting " in nearly every post Bruce . We get It. We were the ones bleeding not you,some more than others, but we were there.


Terry Jordan
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 3539
Dogs 0 / Races 0

07 Nov 2018 06:34


 (10)
 (0)

How would GRNSW go if we had an Independent Commission looking into the Industry? (Post Live Baiting, McHugh report).
The opening address into Cricket Aust, could well have mirrored GRNSW.
Cricket Aust, ARL, ARU are all in free/fall! Why? Because they have all ignored the "Grass Roots" of their empires. Concentrating on only the "Elite". and Television deals.
Cricket: Have ignored the Sheffield Shield as a stepping stone into the Aust team. Grade Cricket receives little or no funding from the State. Preferring only to support a State Academy.
National level surviving now on 20/20, and One/Dayers.

NRL: Country clubs have collapsed at an alarming rate now for some 10 years. Ask NSWRL, and they will tell you figures are actually rising??? Why? because they now incorporate every Oz/Tag, and Touch/Football players. and all Female players. Smoke & Mirrors.

ARU: They have very a diminishing pool of Schools playing Union. Focusing solely on an Elite few. Still travelling 1st Class, staying in 5 star accommodation, paying huge contracts for under performing players.

They have all over the years ignored their "Grass Roots" future

GRNSW: Going head first along the same path! McHugh painted a very dubious picture of over breeding and cruelty. (Paid well to do so). Baird almost single handedly closed the industry. (With the Racing Ministers help).
We have been threatened with Breeding being capped (2-3000 pups p/a) Bitches allowed only 3 litters! Puppy Bonds?. All this while the Industry struggles with Dog numbers!
Puppies being our "Grass Roots", no dogs = no racing future!

We are an ageing Industry, many many participants in their late, twilight years. The majority I speak to state they wont be breeding anymore. Loss of confidence in the Industry, becoming to difficult, costly, no incentives, and expecting things to get a darn sight worse with a "Code of Practice" imminent.Where are the next crop of trainers coming from? Property - acreage is almost out of the reach of many youngsters today.

Prizemoney been stagnated for quite a while now in NSW. When I came to the Nth. Rivers 12 years ago, 5th grade TAB B 420m paid $860......Fast forward 12 years, 5th grade TAB B 420m pays $900. Fact!....Trial a dog over 500m, costs $10....Trial a dog over 420m costs? yep $10......Race 500m win $1500....Race 420m win $900
Next Vet visit might ask for discount? Dog can only race over 420m, receive's 2/3rds less Prizemoney than a 500m dog. Lol

What of Country racing in NSW? Being strangled to death slowly. Less meetings & less prizemoney.

Strategic Plan..3 years? Is that all we have left?




Mark Donohue
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 2394
Dogs 6 / Races 0

07 Nov 2018 07:28


 (8)
 (0)

I agree with you Glenn, Terry n Robert. I asked the Chief Commissioner of GWIC, when he was on his last Roadshow at Potts Park, to stop using the phrase ďsecond chanceĒ as we in the industry were two to three years past the scandal.


Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 966
Dogs 0 / Races 0

07 Nov 2018 23:27


 (1)
 (4)

Terry,

Some good points there. But I would add a couple to your list: Soccer cannot maintain TV audiences/cash. Hockey is in slow but steady decline re numbers. Golf is OK but struggling a bit.

As for ... "How would GRNSW go if we had an Independent Commission looking into the Industry?" ... marvellous idea. However, the response would be that it has just been done three time in three states. Unfortunately, it was done badly and with blinkers on by lawyers and a public servant.

The underlying factor is that there has been a massive shift in wages for the top echelon over the last two decades. Influences have included World Series cricket, Indian cricket, Super League, firms seeking TV exposure, increasing female influence (players and spectators), player associations, clothing manufacturers, professional player managers-trainers etc, the international perspective and competition for a finite number of talented youngsters.

Yes, it all revolves around the dollar and TV is the common denominator of that.

At the dogs, the missing factor is professionalism at the organisational level - amateur clubs, amateur tracks, paper shifters, meddling by governments and an uneducated public.

In other words, there is no management - only administration. There are no goals - only rules to play by. But that applies to tiddlywinks and fiddlesticks, too, and there are no dollars there.

The outcome of bureauracy is that expenses keep rising and rewards to players keep falling (see also recent Vic GOTBA submissions). So get rid of bureaucracy and install real management.

The measuring stick is prize money for a decent 5th Grade race at a decent provincial track. Fix that and the rest will take care of itself.




Terry Jordan
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 3539
Dogs 0 / Races 0

08 Nov 2018 00:02


 (5)
 (0)

Bruce
I only had time to tickle the tip of the iceberg.
Imagine our own dedicated racing channel? How much moola could we make from "Vet Animal Insurance" adds? lol

We (the Greyhound Industry) have not progressed for at least the last 20 years. Biggest difference being No Bookies, and enjoyment
factor disappearing at a rapid rate.
We risk going belly-up, due to Admin Wages & costs. Domino effect

When does the punishment end? still treated as low life, unintelligent, sadist's! Who need to be culled, and flogged occasionally with an iron fist. (hence all the ex-cop compliance officers) jmho of course


Bill Deguara
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 153
Dogs 1 / Races 0

08 Nov 2018 13:30


 (0)
 (0)

Terry Jordan wrote:

Bruce
I only had time to tickle the tip of the iceberg.
Imagine our own dedicated racing channel? How much moola could we make from "Vet Animal Insurance" adds? lol

We (the Greyhound Industry) have not progressed for at least the last 20 years. Biggest difference being No Bookies, and enjoyment
factor disappearing at a rapid rate.
We risk going belly-up, due to Admin Wages & costs. Domino effect

When does the punishment end? still treated as low life, unintelligent, sadist's! Who need to be culled, and flogged occasionally with an iron fist. (hence all the ex-cop compliance officers) jmho of course

Well said Terry,and what's worse is that it does'nt look like ever changing.



Mark Donohue
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 2394
Dogs 6 / Races 0

08 Nov 2018 19:32


 (0)
 (0)

Bill,
We will have to make change.


Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 966
Dogs 0 / Races 0

08 Nov 2018 23:05


 (3)
 (1)

Bill/Terry,

No - at the moment it does not look like changing, except for the worse. Here's what we are up against.

* Most clubs fail to seek reform and improvement and depend on handouts anyway.

* GA is of no use - in fact, it has proved to be a negative.

* State authorities like to maintain their castles and, otherwise, conform to government wishes.

* State governments will refer your letter to their local authorities and so - see above. Vicious cycle.

All that's left is the public. We have to show them we are not "low life, unintelligent, sadist's! Who need to be culled, and flogged occasionally with an iron fist". The way to do that is by taking the greyhound to them - personally, via trainer groups, with club help, with local media, in schools and shopping centres, by open days, via an expanded GAP, via the local MP, and so on, as I have suggested many times here.

We bypass the barriers, or go round them. And we scream blue murder every time an authority tries to add yet another regulation. You know it will work because it has already done so in the march down Macquarie Street and in the Orange by-election.

It can be done but it will take time. So how about every trainer, breeder and owner taking 10% of their week to do it? That's not easy either but it would be an investment that would return big dividends - to say nothing about preserving their livelihoods.

One dividend is that the same public will then tell the government to lend support. Votes do count.

(You know, years ago I was dealing with the then-GRCB about a technical matter that involved what stewards did. The CEO at the time - Bob Cartwright - told me "You are the only one who ever complains". My complaint, as he called it, was a valid one but I could barely get to first base because I had no support behind me. So I lost. Rodney Potter & co blundered on - all the way to Long Bay).




Noel McCaskie
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1100
Dogs 23 / Races 5

09 Nov 2018 06:13


 (0)
 (0)

Bruce Teague wrote:

Bill/Terry,

No - at the moment it does not look like changing, except for the worse. Here's what we are up against.

* Most clubs fail to seek reform and improvement and depend on handouts anyway.

* GA is of no use - in fact, it has proved to be a negative.

* State authorities like to maintain their castles and, otherwise, conform to government wishes.

* State governments will refer your letter to their local authorities and so - see above. Vicious cycle.

All that's left is the public. We have to show them we are not "low life, unintelligent, sadist's! Who need to be culled, and flogged occasionally with an iron fist". The way to do that is by taking the greyhound to them - personally, via trainer groups, with club help, with local media, in schools and shopping centres, by open days, via an expanded GAP, via the local MP, and so on, as I have suggested many times here.

We bypass the barriers, or go round them. And we scream blue murder every time an authority tries to add yet another regulation. You know it will work because it has already done so in the march down Macquarie Street and in the Orange by-election.

It can be done but it will take time. So how about every trainer, breeder and owner taking 10% of their week to do it? That's not easy either but it would be an investment that would return big dividends - to say nothing about preserving their livelihoods.

One dividend is that the same public will then tell the government to lend support. Votes do count.

(You know, years ago I was dealing with the then-GRCB about a technical matter that involved what stewards did. The CEO at the time - Bob Cartwright - told me "You are the only one who ever complains". My complaint, as he called it, was a valid one but I could barely get to first base because I had no support behind me. So I lost. Rodney Potter & co blundered on - all the way to Long Bay).

A few knights back it was put over the news that the GREYHOUND is in the TOP four dogs as a family PET how does that go down with greyhound lovers ? MAYBE YOU ARE ON TO SOMETHING BRUCE ?




Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 966
Dogs 0 / Races 0

09 Nov 2018 21:26


 (2)
 (0)

Noel,

here are any amount of highly qualified people who will tell you much the same thing - a couple I have seen rating them above the Labrador.

Here's another:

Get your local whizz (which may be your own kids) to prepare a poster of a terrific sire and use a caption reading ....

Man runs to beat time
Horses are urged to run
Greyhounds are born to run.



Malcolm Smart
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 12240
Dogs 19 / Races 34

10 Nov 2018 01:27


 (1)
 (4)

Bruce Teague wrote:

Man runs to beat time
Horses are urged to run
Greyhounds are born to run.


NO WAY, you thought of that yourself.. :-P


Trevor Hagney
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 80
Dogs 0 / Races 0

10 Nov 2018 07:21


 (0)
 (0)

Its from a GBOTA poster from decades ago.


Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 966
Dogs 0 / Races 0

10 Nov 2018 21:03


 (0)
 (0)

Trevor Hagney wrote:

Its from a GBOTA poster from decades ago.

Correct. I should have mentioned that.

Previously, I have passed on the idea to four state authorities - suggesting it would be ideal for a billboard on a major highway, etc. I even told them who had a fantastic picture of a top sire to use.

None showed any interest.




Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 966
Dogs 0 / Races 0

10 Nov 2018 21:10


 (0)
 (0)

Here's another hint for those who are interested in promotion of the sport.

Go to p97 of the WDA report and you will see results of a survey of the general public regarding attending race meetings .......

"It has never occurred to me to attend one" - 40%.

If you don't ask, you don't receive.


posts 37page  1 2