home - to The Greyhound-Database
Home  |  Dog-Search  |  Dogs ID  |  Races  |  Race Cards  |  Coursing  |  Tracks  |  Statistic  |  Testmating  |  Kennels  
 
Facebook
Login  |    |  add_race  |  add_coursing  |  add_dog  |  Membership  |  Advertising  | Ask the Vet  | Memorials    Help  print pedigree      
TV  |  Active-Sires  |  Sire-Pages  |  Which Sire?  |  Classifieds  |  Auctions  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Library  |  Adoption  |  Forum  |  About_us  |  Site Usage

Welcome to the Greyhound Knowledge Forum

   

The Greyhound-Data Forum has been created to act as a platform for greyhound enthusiasts to share information on this magnificent animal called a greyhound.

Greyhound-Data reserve the right to remove any post that is off topic, advertisements or opinions they consider to be offensive.

Please read the forum usage manual please note:

If you answer then please try to stay on topic. It's absolutely okay to answer in a broader scope but don't hijack posts by switching to something off topic.

In case you see an insulting post: DO NOT REPLY TO IT!
Use the report button to inform the moderators so that we can delete it.

Read more...

All TopicsFor SaleGD-WebsiteBreedingHealthRacingCoursingRetirementBettingTalkLogin to post
Do you have questions about greyhound racing?
Do you need advice on how to train a greyhound?

The {{{{{ SHORTAGE }}}} is here.page  << 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 

Daryl Barrett
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1173
Dogs 0 / Races 0

22 Feb 2020 02:50


 (1)
 (0)


G'day Sandro,again at Bulli,only 8 races tonight,& a grand total of 54 dogs going around ,the first race,a maiden,has a embarrassing 5 dog's in it.Should we be worried about the future of our " premier " 1 turn track?...I think we should be if this trend continues, & again this week,most tracks are struggling to put together races on with full field's. I did say at the time just after the live baiting scandal,that the greyhound industry would self destruct itself,( something that I wasn't happy to say ),but the way it's heading at present with certain aspects of the industry...well..I just hope that I am wrong,very,very wrong.
Cheers mate. ( thankfully,you have Saldana to breed with,bitches like her should throw 500 - 700 dog's & keep 500 - 700mtr racing alive ).


Mark Wilcox
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 136
Dogs 1 / Races 0

22 Feb 2020 03:49


 (2)
 (0)


daryl one of the problems at bulli is the programming of races, it is a disgrace for weeks and weeks on end they program for 1\2 win dogs battlers and low grade dogs never ever do they call for high grade dogs people have got sick of preparing dogs and not having races to suit.so they go elsewhere not only with their high grade dogs but all their dogs.they should try by grading from the top down with some higher prize money each week to attract the dogs back and the trainers after all there is no need to program for lower grade dogs there is plenty of races left on the card for them. P.S lets get back to 472 m racing and draw the fast dogs back to race.



Steven Martin
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 7672
Dogs 180 / Races 66

22 Feb 2020 06:34


 (1)
 (0)


daryl barrett wrote:

the greyhound industry would self destruct itself


I remember you saying that Daryl but that won't happen...well not just yet anyway.

Breeding numbers have gradually, I stress have "Gradually" picked up (to the minute) by 20% since 2016. Sounds good doesn't it but we're still down on breeding by 40%, pre-2014 which we'll never see again.

In my opinion, current breeding numbers have to keep improving for another couple of years if all TAB tracks are to stay viable.
Current country tracks will only survive with hand-outs from Councils & above, as right now they would be mostly running on the smell of an oily-rag with just 6 event cards all racing over 300m. That won't cut the mustard, unfortunately.


Daryl Barrett
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1173
Dogs 0 / Races 0

22 Feb 2020 06:36


 (1)
 (0)


Hi Gillian,with all due respect,i disagree, Bulli even struggled to get nom's for their premier race,The Bulli Gold Cup,Wenty tonight,reduced fields for the Preludes,etc,maybe race programming & the current grading system is having a bearing on this,but where are the top grade dogs going,well now they are very few & far between.Most top grade dogs are at best 3rdgrade or ffa...but they are 280 _ 400mtr racedogs,most 5th grade dogs are the same,races over 500mtrs are are rarity,& why,because the p/ m for racing over the " shorts" is pretty good at most tracks,also,these type of greyhounds,once fit,take very little effort to train.Yes,their are other reasons for this including the way breeding has gone over the last 5 years,a lot of dogs are bred for speed,not stamina,or trainers not wanting to put a bit more effort & patience into conditioning their greyhounds.We can't continue to lay blame on GRNSW,with the reforms that have transpired ,greyhounds who have had 20,30 starts for only 1 win,along with the 280 - 400mtr
dogs still have to race somewhere.Welcome to greyhound racing 21st century.Cheers Gillian.
gillian wilcox wrote:

daryl one of the problems at bulli is the programming of races, it is a disgrace for weeks and weeks on end they program for 1\2 win dogs battlers and low grade dogs never ever do they call for high grade dogs people have got sick of preparing dogs and not having races to suit.so they go elsewhere not only with their high grade dogs but all their dogs.they should try by grading from the top down with some higher prize money each week to attract the dogs back and the trainers after all there is no need to program for lower grade dogs there is plenty of races left on the card for them. P.S lets get back to 472 m racing and draw the fast dogs back to race.





Daryl Barrett
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1173
Dogs 0 / Races 0

22 Feb 2020 06:42


 (1)
 (0)


G'day Steve,you have a good memory mate,lol,& lets hope that never happens,& i totally agree with your'e thought's.
Cheers mate.
steven martin wrote:

daryl barrett wrote:

the greyhound industry would self destruct itself


I remember you saying that Daryl but that won't happen...well not just yet anyway.

Breeding numbers have gradually, I stress have "Gradually" picked up (to the minute) by 20% since 2016. Sounds good doesn't it but we're still down on breeding by 40%, pre-2014 which we'll never see again.

In my opinion, current breeding numbers have to keep improving for another couple of years if all TAB tracks are to stay viable.
Current country tracks will only survive with hand-outs from Councils & above, as right now they would be mostly running on the smell of an oily-rag with just 6 event cards all racing over 300m. That won't cut the mustard, unfortunately.






Steven Martin
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 7672
Dogs 180 / Races 66

22 Feb 2020 08:22


 (0)
 (0)


Today's Breeding Stats compared to a 10 year average between 2005 & 2014.

Litters that each Australian State have been averaging between the years of 2005-2015, compared to 2017-2019 average.

State..2005-14...2017-19

NSW....1252......567 - down by 55%
VIC......1051......617 - down by 41%
QLD.....342.......166 - down by 51%
SA.......110........79 - down by 21%
WA......103........65 - down by 37%
TAS.....90..........41 - down by 55%
NZ.......129.......126 - down by 2%
Total ...3080.....1662

As you can see current breeding stats are down a massive 46.1% or 8931 pups (on AVG) compared to the 10 years between 2005-2014.....with NSW, QLD & TAS struggling the most on averages.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Litter PERCENTAGE that each Australian State have been averaging between the years of 2005-2015, compared to the year of 2019.

State......2005-14..2019

NSW.......40.4%..32.5% - down by 20%
VIC.........33.9%..38.8% - up by 14%
QLD.......10.5%..10.7% - up by 2%
SA..........4.1%...4.4% - up by 7%
WA.........3.4%...4.3% - up by 27%
TAS........2.9%...2.2% - down by 23%
NZ..........4.6%...7.0% - up by 50%
Total.......100%..100%

As you can see when looking at the AVERAGES, NSW & TAS are struggling massively when you look at the overall picture & QLD has tried to picked up there game.
VIC has taken over as the most popular State to breed in for the first time... and NZ has simply been business as usual.


Daryl Barrett
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1173
Dogs 0 / Races 0

22 Feb 2020 08:52


 (1)
 (0)


It's not the only thing the " Mexicans " have taken over Steve,NSW was the premier greyhound racing state back in the day,now,dare i say it ( again ),they wittled down that dominace NSW once had...they just seem to be "doing things better ".
steven martin wrote:

Today's Breeding Stats compared to a 10 year average between 2005 & 2014.

Litters that each Australian State have been averaging between the years of 2005-2015, compared to 2017-2019 average.

State..2005-14...2017-19

NSW....1252......567 - down by 55%
VIC......1051......617 - down by 41%
QLD.....342.......166 - down by 51%
SA.......110........79 - down by 21%
WA......103........65 - down by 37%
TAS.....90..........41 - down by 55%
NZ.......129.......126 - down by 2%
Total ...3080.....1662

As you can see current breeding stats are down a massive 46.1% or 8931 pups (on AVG) compared to the 10 years between 2005-2014.....with NSW, QLD & TAS struggling the most on averages.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Litter PERCENTAGE that each Australian State have been averaging between the years of 2005-2015, compared to the year of 2019.

State......2005-14..2019

NSW.......40.4%..32.5% - down by 20%
VIC.........33.9%..38.8% - up by 14%
QLD.......10.5%..10.7% - up by 2%
SA..........4.1%...4.4% - up by 7%
WA.........3.4%...4.3% - up by 27%
TAS........2.9%...2.2% - down by 23%
NZ..........4.6%...7.0% - up by 50%
Total.......100%..100%

As you can see when looking at the AVERAGES, NSW & TAS are struggling massively when you look at the overall picture & QLD has tried to picked up there game.
VIC has taken over as the most popular State to breed in for the first time... and NZ has simply been business as usual.





Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1977
Dogs 0 / Races 0

22 Feb 2020 23:30


 (1)
 (0)


Darryl,

The breeding caper is a manifold issue.

First, as Steve points out, there has been a long term decline in numbers – mostly shown in the comparison of the 2000s decade to the first half decade of the 2010s. Not big but significant enough.

Second, the bottom fell out of the market after the 2015 live baiting saga – roughly halving numbers and so far showing little sign of renewal.

Third, there were external effects due to (a) a campaign to tidy up “backyard breeders” in Vic during the Stephens reign, (b) periodic help in Vic as Napthine regularly offered breeding subsidies in one form or another (but which had no impact), (c) the recent rule change restricting the activity of dams, and (d) the even more recent reduction in some fees in Vic

Fourth, faulty findings by inquiries in three states came up with claims of “over-breeding” which never existed – see all the data over the last 20 years. Yet the reverse is actually happening even without considering the live baiting problem.

Fifth, to this day, no-one really knows why breeding is falling. There has been no proper investigation into the sector (or not publicly). Rather, some authorities have taken administrative action – ie the above fee reductions and a survey in NSW of grading systems – and crossed their fingers that the trend would reverse. It hasn’t.

Sixth, be careful of state by state numbers. Litters tell us where the dam was resident, not where the sire lived or the cash changed hands. Breeding is a national issue.

Seventh, to some extent the current situation disguises the reality. The heavy (and successful) use of expensive top sires (Barcia Bale, Fernando Bale, USA blood, etc) tells us there is a strong demand for quality but not necessarily for quantity. Why is this so?

Eighth, Paul Wheeler has stated publicly he was going to halve his output, and then halve it again, mostly because the industry had made life too hard. I am not sure if this has happened but it is an indication of his thinking.

I have been writing about all this for several years in articles and letter to authorities but I am afraid the words have had no effect. The central reason for that is that the industry is run by administrators, not by managers who might normally read the lea leaves and take action before the problem gets too big to handle.

Incidentally, still sitting on the GWIC website is a copy of a firm NSW policy to introduce puppy bonds – ie a tax on breeding – dated 24 May 2018. That has not happened either so why is it still there? (My own view is that it is “illegal” and therefore has been pigeon holed for the moment. But it is still a worry).



Mark Staines
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 3753
Dogs 68 / Races 14

22 Feb 2020 23:56


 (7)
 (0)


Bruce how many litters have you bred ?
N.S.W. Participants have endured 30 + years of negligent management by Government, Race Clubs and Authorities. The decline started when Mike Cleary told the N.S.W. GBOTA to relocate to Wentworth Park because the NCA were going broke, then the ultimate shafting of the industry came via the intercode debacle.


Daryl Barrett
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1173
Dogs 0 / Races 0

23 Feb 2020 03:26


 (2)
 (0)


Bruce,you don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to now why the breeding game has changed significantly, along with all of the problem's the greyhoud industry has & will face in the future,the reason ?..the 2015 "Live Baiting " scandal.Prior to that,the greyhound industry was flourishing in most state's,but because of that scandal,ultimately, reform's had to be introduced across the board.When these reform's were put into place,it changed "the game " forever,those reform's,in a roundabout way,have done exactly what Baird was trying to do in NSW,but in a much slower way,taking years & years to achive,ie;reduced breeding,rising costs,puppy taxes,etc,etc,etc.A lot of people lost a hell of a lot of faith in the greyhound industry,( breeders,trainers & owners ), & hung up the leads & muzzles for good,& who could blame them,& all because of the actions of a minority within the industry.As far as breeding caper is at present,unless you have copius amounts of " folding stuff " in you're skyrocket, forget about going to the top 3 or 4 sires in Australia,it is becoming increasingly more & more expensive to even purchase a weanling pup ( average price in the range of 4k - 6k for a fairly bred pup ),again,this all go's back to 2015.Those horrible word's again..." Self Destruct " come to mind,like i said prior..i truly hope i am wrong.
PS, Are the greyhund racing authorities to blame for the sporadic behaviour of a few just recently in Vic,as in 2015....ONE MORE STRIKE BRUCE,ONE MORE STRIKE...some people just don't get it. Cheers Bruce.
Bruce Teague wrote:

Darryl,

The breeding caper is a manifold issue.

First, as Steve points out, there has been a long term decline in numbers – mostly shown in the comparison of the 2000s decade to the first half decade of the 2010s. Not big but significant enough.

Second, the bottom fell out of the market after the 2015 live baiting saga – roughly halving numbers and so far showing little sign of renewal.

Third, there were external effects due to (a) a campaign to tidy up “backyard breeders” in Vic during the Stephens reign, (b) periodic help in Vic as Napthine regularly offered breeding subsidies in one form or another (but which had no impact), (c) the recent rule change restricting the activity of dams, and (d) the even more recent reduction in some fees in Vic

Fourth, faulty findings by inquiries in three states came up with claims of “over-breeding” which never existed – see all the data over the last 20 years. Yet the reverse is actually happening even without considering the live baiting problem.

Fifth, to this day, no-one really knows why breeding is falling. There has been no proper investigation into the sector (or not publicly). Rather, some authorities have taken administrative action – ie the above fee reductions and a survey in NSW of grading systems – and crossed their fingers that the trend would reverse. It hasn’t.

Sixth, be careful of state by state numbers. Litters tell us where the dam was resident, not where the sire lived or the cash changed hands. Breeding is a national issue.

Seventh, to some extent the current situation disguises the reality. The heavy (and successful) use of expensive top sires (Barcia Bale, Fernando Bale, USA blood, etc) tells us there is a strong demand for quality but not necessarily for quantity. Why is this so?

Eighth, Paul Wheeler has stated publicly he was going to halve his output, and then halve it again, mostly because the industry had made life too hard. I am not sure if this has happened but it is an indication of his thinking.

I have been writing about all this for several years in articles and letter to authorities but I am afraid the words have had no effect. The central reason for that is that the industry is run by administrators, not by managers who might normally read the lea leaves and take action before the problem gets too big to handle.

Incidentally, still sitting on the GWIC website is a copy of a firm NSW policy to introduce puppy bonds – ie a tax on breeding – dated 24 May 2018. That has not happened either so why is it still there? (My own view is that it is “illegal” and therefore has been pigeon holed for the moment. But it is still a worry).





Daryl Barrett
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1173
Dogs 0 / Races 0

23 Feb 2020 03:30


 (1)
 (0)


G'day Mark very good & pertinent points mate.
Mark Staines wrote:

Bruce how many litters have you bred ?
N.S.W. Participants have endured 30 + years of negligent management by Government, Race Clubs and Authorities. The decline started when Mike Cleary told the N.S.W. GBOTA to relocate to Wentworth Park because the NCA were going broke, then the ultimate shafting of the industry came via the intercode debacle.





Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1977
Dogs 0 / Races 0

23 Feb 2020 04:15


 (0)
 (0)


Mark Staines wrote:

Bruce how many litters have you bred ?
N.S.W. Participants have endured 30 + years of negligent management by Government, Race Clubs and Authorities. The decline started when Mike Cleary told the N.S.W. GBOTA to relocate to Wentworth Park because the NCA were going broke, then the ultimate shafting of the industry came via the intercode debacle.

Mark,

I can't imagine what my breeding habits have to do with the state of the industry (although I have four kids). My point was to emphasise what happened, who did it or did not do it, and pose the question as to why there has not been a decent investigation into the underlying reasons for the steady decline in breeding numbers. I can guess at a few things but no-one can be really sure until the research job is done independently and professionally.

I am not sure if Michelle ever told anybody anything although nominally he did oversee the building of the new WPK grandstand/offices. However, the GBOTA move from HP was effectively initiated by the Department and GBOTA itself as the latter was having trouble breaking even and the trots were (a) never keen on having them there and (b) they were looking at redeveloping the joint in various ways (which they did but it failed).

This was also the era when Lord V'Landys was running things at HP and telling the Glebe Hockey Club to go jump (they reckoned they had been promised a playing field where the car park stood). The ABC TV even did a full hour program on it.

But note that the IDC was a self-shafted deal. The basic decision to agree to 13% and 99 years was supported jointly by NCA and GBOTA and then formally signed off by the then-GRA Chairman (Maginn). That's all in court records and I have also discussed it with Phil Bell (NCA), who was there and was happy with the deal at the time. The industry could have said no.

Still, the result is the same - as you say, "30 years of negligent management" although I put it down to "non management". If there is a single reason for that it would be trying to run a commercial operation with a committee in charge. A government-appointed committee at that! To be fair, GRA had no CEO at that stage - only a "Secretary to the Board". So NCA and GBOTA effectively ran the board.



Mark Staines
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 3753
Dogs 68 / Races 14

23 Feb 2020 04:56


 (1)
 (0)


Bruce you are wrong again !!!!
The GBOTA were directed by Minister Cleary to relocate too W.P. because the NCA were going broke !!!!!
Did the GBOTA Board and its CEO put up a fight ? "No they did not"
Did the GBOTA consult with its Members regarding the move ? "No they did not"
The NCA and its Cronies were nothing more than Parasites sucking the life out of the industry
for years !!!



Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1977
Dogs 0 / Races 0

23 Feb 2020 04:57


 (4)
 (0)


Daryl,

I understand your 23 Feb comments and generally agree.

However, the key question today is why a recovery has not taken place. It's easy to blame live baiting but I see more to it than that. Bear in mind that we are experiencing a different climate to that applying in the 2000s and before.

Economics, regulations, anti-racing lobbies and social practices all play a part in both supply and demand areas but we still don't know exactly how and why. Therefore, we don't know what weapons to use or where to attack. Additionally, as you will see from the current GWIC media release on the ABC re-homing commentary, everything we do is after the event - reactive, not proactive.

To offer an different example, Neds280 was an attempt to widen the audience but we still don't know whether it was successful or not and how much it cost (plenty). The PTB cannot be bothered telling us - so you can bet that it was not a great deal.

As I have said many times, the industry has two big assets: skilled trainers and high quality dogs but it is not utilising them well enough.

The big picture is that the horses have much the same problems as the greyhounds yet they are able to charge along with supporters shelling out squillions for new stock. Yes, their numbers are also very ordinary but they have still been able to maintain standards in general, introduce fresh ventures and obtain continuing (albeit off-course) support for their sector.

The trots have not done that so they are falling by the wayside. Neither has greyhounds so they survived by adding more races or just putting up short fields.

Remember the tote? That old standby. Well, last night we saw top racers at The Meadows (Mel Cup heats etc), Wenty and the Bulli Cup.
Not one of those races pulled in $10k on the NSW tote, which means punters would not have been able to see more than $5k or so before being forced to bet. That's rubbish for a proper investor.

Sure, lots may have gone the way or the corporates and Fixed Odds. But how do we know? Without serious IT gear you would have no idea what was really happening and who was offering what price. But you can bet London to a brick on that you would be getting ripped off pricewise.

The point there is that if you dumb down betting you will also dumb down the overall interest in the sport, whether breeding or whatever. It aint sexy enough.




Bruce Teague
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1977
Dogs 0 / Races 0

24 Feb 2020 04:10


 (0)
 (0)


Mark Staines wrote:

Bruce you are wrong again !!!!
The GBOTA were directed by Minister Cleary to relocate too W.P. because the NCA were going broke !!!!!
Did the GBOTA Board and its CEO put up a fight ? "No they did not"
Did the GBOTA consult with its Members regarding the move ? "No they did not"
The NCA and its Cronies were nothing more than Parasites sucking the life out of the industry
for years !!!

Mark,

As I intimated, Michelle was always out on the wing because he was not to be trusted in a more prominent position. Fast, yes, but risky. That's what he took into politics, together with his name and the occupation of Wenty as part of the South Sydney electorate. Then and since, the majority of Racing Ministers were low in the pecking order so the job was usually dumped in the lap of the more junior candidates (there are exceptions but that was the majority).

Secondly, a Minister is not able to direct authorities or clubs in any but very extreme circumstances (eg sacking them for cause). In fact, they routinely tell you they must stay "at arms' length". OK, we can take that with a grain of salt but he hardly got a name as a go-getter inside or outside of politics.

On the other hand, the Department was quite prominent in those days and wound up being required to review the position of the GBOTA at HP. But that was secondary. The prime issue was still that V'Landys had long been putting pressure on GBOTA (rent, for one thing) because he (V'Landys) held the whip hand, and used it. That and other factors eventually led to GBOTA looking at red ink at the end of the year.

The Departmental paper on this was well documented at the time although I can't find the reference at the moment. However, it is entirely possible that there was a piece of paper drafted by the Department and signed by Michelle to that effect. That is often how the system works. Technically, the Minister did "direct" but only because the Department told him to do so.

Either way, the Minister/Department was simply reviewing what GBOTA had put to them - ie that they could no longer make do with their lot at HP - and therefore endorsed the GBOTA proposal to move operations to Wenty.

I doubt NCA had any input at all but obviously they would have to accept that two operators at Wenty would be more profitable than one - and the Department's supporting report agreed with that. But the prime motivation was the status of HP, not the profitability of NCA

The question of whether NCA was run well or badly was neither here nor there in this context (albeit the NCA-owned Recorder was doing OK in that era - ie 1987 - largely because Phil Bell was running things then).

Today, we all regret the fate of HP which was a huge loss to the industry (particularly to the Hunter region) and one which has never been replaced in any shape or form.

I have no particular admiration for what GBOTA does but on this occasion they had to play the cards they were dealt. They were on a hiding to nothing at HP.





Steven Martin
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 7672
Dogs 180 / Races 66

02 Feb 2021 04:12


 (4)
 (0)


Summary of this weeks fields on the "Dogs Site".

12 races - 9 x 388m, 3 x 515m. Angle Park
08 races - 4 x 259m (WTF), 4 x 420m. Lismore
10 races - 9 x 431m, 1 x 520m. Ipswich Tues
10 races - 2 x 340m, 5 x 400m, 2 x 472m, 1 x 515m. Bulli Tues
11 races, 7 x 380m, 3 x 498m, 1 x 643m. Townsville
10 races, 2 x 302m, 7 x 405m, 1 490m. Mandurah
09 races, 6 x 388m, 3 x 515m. Gosford
11 races, 7 x 314, 3 x 392m, 1 x 537m. Taree
12 races, 12 x 400m. Gawler
12 races, 8 x 330m, 4 x 400m. Richmond Wed
11 races, 10 x 395m, 1 x 520m. Albion Park
10 races, 10 x 520m. WPK (premier tk)
10 races, 9 x 407m, 1 x 510m. Rockhampton
12 races, 1 x 275m, 6 x 380m, 5 x 520m. Cannington Wed
10 races - 5 x 300m, 3 x 411m, 2 x 484m. Casino
11 races, 9 x 400m, 2 x 512m. Mt Gambier
11 races, 7 x 340m, 3 x 431m, 1 x 527m. Gunnedah

180 races in total.
142 are races from 259m to 471m or 78.9%.
38 are races above 471m or 21.1%.

Only one of those "471m race & above" was a FFA (Wpk).

Even if you had a greyhound that could run a 500m, you've got next to no chance of racing it over that distance.

Less breeding = less 500m greyhounds.

Less 500m greyhounds = less races over 500m.

Less races over 500m = less opportunities for 500m greyhounds.

Less opportunities for 500m greyhounds = Victorian bound or race over 400m distances.


Ian Bradshaw
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 244
Dogs 6 / Races 0

03 Feb 2021 05:11


 (3)
 (0)


Steven,

I have already posted these figures on another thread, but they are also relevant to what you state about less, less and less.

4/2/12 -- 19/3/12 * 490 litters Australia wide

4/2/14 -- 19/3/14 * 476 litters

4/2/16 -- 19/3/16 * 307 litters

4/2/18 -- 19/3/18 * 265 litters

4/2/20 -- 19/3/20 * 286 litters

So there are progressively far less litters being whelped, why?

In Victoria the prize money on offer is a good incentive to breed, but the number of whelpings continue to decline.

The most likely answer I see is, ( like it or not ), but as a result of evolving social habits, people are gradually becoming less interested in spending their time breeding and racing greyhounds.

Can this situation be reversed ? Suggestions please.



Sandro Bechini
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 18479
Dogs 14584 / Races 1826

03 Feb 2021 06:11


 (6)
 (0)


There needs to be a push to offer incentives to 25yo-35yo and 36yo -50yo age brackets into the sport

The latter will have assets to invest in property and hopefully be established in life and likely to have children who may gfollow them into the sport

The former, will mainly be children/grandchildren of current participants

Better grass seed prizemoney is whats needed Australia-wide to keep a recurrent flow of income to keep these people interested in training dogs

If they can;t see its worth the effort, then they won;t do it





Richard Gray
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 2225
Dogs 11 / Races 9

03 Feb 2021 06:40


 (5)
 (0)


Sandro, I agree with your post, it comes down to the grass roots people of the game to hold the sport together, yet the PTB seem hell bent on looking after the top end of town with a misconception that they believe this is what is good for the game (with no participant consultation) Today, Noms extended Meadows for the second time with 73 noms sat night, Sale extended, cranbourne extended as well, this is now a day to day normal here in Vic. Yet on the same day where they extend noms for Cranbourne (77noms) One race is reserved for a 2 dog match race for $10:000. Of the 12 races at Crandoune, there are 29 vacant boxes (including reserves) No wonder people are disheartend.
Cheers. Rich




Edward (Ted) Howard
Australia
(Verified User)
Posts 1097
Dogs 16 / Races 0

03 Feb 2021 11:59


 (7)
 (0)


The biggest reason I beleive breeding has contracted are the unrealistic welfare rules GAP do a great job but they arent magicians people breed a litter and are stuck with them good or bad that means no space to breed again for 10 years.I have just bred a litter of 13 and it has scared the pants off me.We are called the racing industry but dont have the same rights as other industies, farmers cull and we need to do the same otherwise we simply run out of room and self destruct.

posts 528page  << 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27