On 18th April, 1927, the first greyhound race track was opened in Ireland. This was in Celtic Park, Belfast, and was followed immediately by Shelbourne Park, Dublin one month later. In the same year, tracks were opened at Harolds Cross, Dublin and Dunmore Stadium, Belfast, to be followed in the following year by Cork.
Shortly after its introduction, the control of greyhound racing in Ireland came under the aegis of the Irish Coursing Club which supervised coursing, one of the most ancient field Sports, as well as publishing the Irish Greyhound Stud Book.
In 1958, the Government established Bord na gCon (The Irish Greyhound Board), to control, promote and operate greyhound racing in the Republic. The Irish Coursing Club continued to regulate greyhound racing in Northern Ireland.
There are 17 tracks under the control of Bord na gCon in the Republic and 3 tracks under the control of the Irish Coursing Club in Northern Ireland.
Irish Coursing Club
Davis Street, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary. Eire.
Phone: 00353 526172426
Irish Greyhound Board
See the feature races of Ireland